All enterprises operating in Greece and producing or importing packaged products, which are in turn supplied to the domestic market, are obliged to collect and recycle the packaging of their products.
All materials/products used for the containment, protection, handling, delivery and presentation of goods from the producer to the end-user and consumer. This includes sales/primary, grouped/secondary, and transport/tertiary packaging (cfr. definition in Directive 2004/12/EC)
All material (namely paper and cardboard packaging, beverage cartons, plastics, aluminium, steel, glass, wood and others)
Overall recovery target (by weight): 60%
Overall recycling target (by weight): 55% with specific recycling target for paper/cardboard (60%), plastic (22,5%), metal (50%), wood (15%) & glass (60%)
HE.R.R.CO holds the exclusive licence to use the Green Dot symbol in Greece. HE.R.R.CO-members must use the Green Dot symbol on sales packaging.
Part Legislation and specific items
According to Greek Law No 2939 all enterprises producing or importing packaged products are obliged to collect and recycle the packaging of their products either by organizing an individual system for the alternative management of their packaging waste or by organizing and/or participating in a collective system. At the same time, local authorities are legally obliged to ensure the recycling of the municipal packaging waste.
The above mentioned legislation regulates primary, secondary and tertiary packaging put on the Greek market and packaging waste from all sources (industry, commerce, offices, stores, agencies, households, etc.)
In case of collective system, according to a decision by the competent Alternative Management Supervision Committee (EPED), the agreement with HERRCo is to be signed by:
- Importers & producers of packaged products/goods.
- Holders of Private Label Products/Brand Owners. The responsibility for such products is undertaken by the Brand Owner rather than the producer or importer.
HE.R.R.CO handles both household and T&I packaging, but is mainly focusing on household packaging waste.
Exports and multi-use packaging subject to re-use are excluded from the agreement with HERRCo. Furthermore, a special Collective System has been approved with regard to packaging items containing engine lubricants and lubricants for the transmission and steering system (KEPED).
Companies choosing to implement their own individual system have to operate a deposit system
- Eg. AB Vasilopoulos, a supermarket chain which offers consumers money-off rewards
- To fulfill the obligations of their affiliated “packaging operators” (members)
- To collect fees from its affiliated “packaging operators” (members)
- to develop and implement the Collective Alternative Management System – “RECYCLING” (C.A.M.S. – RECYCLING) in Greece
- To support financially the energy recovery and recycling of municipal packaging waste
- To support the recycling of Industrial and Commercial packaging waste (ICPW)
- To create financial incentives for enterprises active in the field of recycling
- To promote the recovery/recycling of packaging waste (HH and T&I) in Greece, contributing essentially to the accomplishment of national goals.
- To sign and put in place agreements with municipal or non-municipal bodies (e.g. the Association of Communities and Municipalities in the Attica Region – A.C.M.A.R.) aiming at the energy recovery of packaging waste